Re: Future of the SAA7146 drivers

On 01.02.23 14:51, Hans Verkuil wrote:
Hi Sören,

On 01/02/2023 12:35, Soeren Moch wrote:

<snip>

Obviously, if someone wants to do the vb2 conversion, then that would be
perfect. I was looking at removing analog video support, and that doesn't
look as easy as I thought it would be.

I only own full-featured (Nexus) cards, modified to also support a mode
of operation like budget cards. In full-featured cards there is a
possibility to re-read the decoded video output signal back, which could
be similar to how analog cards work. But I never had access to
analog/hybrid saa7146 cards, so I'm not sure I can test this mode. I
also don't know anybody with such card who could help testing.
I personally do not care much about analog card support in the driver,
but will at least check which part of analog functionality is used in
full-featured cards. Maybe the support for analog/hybrid cards and some
test coverage comes for free with full support for full-featured cards.
It's the analog video streaming that uses vb2, so being able to test that
is critical.

So I decided to do this differently:

1) I'll revert the move of saa7146 to staging, it will go back to
    mainline. av7110 stays in staging for now (that might change, I
    just don't want to make more changes than strictly necessary).
Hm, you wrote earlier, all this staging is about vb2 conversion.
There is no videobuf in av7110. Why this part needs to stay in staging?

How can I help here?

2) I will do the vb2 conversion. I have the analog video hardware,
    so I can test this.
Great! Thanks for this!

Regards,
Soeren

I didn't want to spend time on that originally, but since these drivers
are still in use, it is probably best if I bite the bullet and just do it.

I'm now almost done with the vb2 conversion of cx18, and it was about
2 days work, which isn't that bad. I'll try to get this saa7146 vb2
conversion done this month.

The PR reverting this has just been posted:

https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/project/linux-media/patch/5902a4f2-da31-816c-f3cf-020340dbaddf@xxxxxxxxx/

Regards,

	Hans