Re: [OT] preferred video apps?

On 01.05.2010 03:48, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Randy Dunlap wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry for a non-kernel question, but I'd like to get some suggestions
>> on video recording and editing software, please.
>>
>> If it matters, this is mostly for recording & editing sports events (matches).
>>
>> Reply privately if you prefer ...
>>
> Please, _do_not_ reply privately ;)
>
> We should build a relation of the userspace applications we need to care when
> testing for regressions, so, this is not OT. It would be nice to hear what are
> the preferred open source applications.
>
> From my side, those are the applications I use:
> 	analog: xawtv 3, xawtv 4, tvtime, mencoder, ffmpeg
>
> Only mencoder and ffmpeg can record - but xawtv (and xdtv) call them.

gstreamer can record too :) A few examples:

stream to screen:
gst-launch v4l2src ! xvimagesink

capture 1 image
gst-launch v4l2src num-buffers=1 ! jpegenc ! filesink location="test.jpeg"

stream to screen and capture video (-e is needed to terminate video on
ctrl-c)
gst-launch -e v4l2src ! tee name=t ! queue ! xvimagesink t. !
ffenc_mpeg4 ! avimux ! filesink location="video.avi"

same as before, but select resolution and framerate
gst-launch -e v4l2src !
"video/x-raw-yuv,width=320,height=240,framerate=(fraction)15/1" ! tee
name=t ! queue ! xvimagesink t. ! ffenc_mpeg4 ! avimux ! filesink
location="video.avi"

(see man gst-launch-0.10 for more examples)

Stefan