Re: Problem with NFS when unplugging laptop from docking station

Hi Norman,

Quoting Norman Koch (2021-10-24 12:16:38)
> Hello,
>
> I'm not sure if I'm correct to ask this here, sorry if it's not.

I'm afraid that I don't think this is the right place to ask your
questions, and so I'm not sure you'll get much specific help from the
linux-media subsystem on this. It's quite unrelated.

> I use Debian 11 with 5.10.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.46-4 (2021-08-03)
> x86_64 GNU/Linux as Kernel on a ThinkPad T440. I also have a network
> attached storage device which I access over nfs. I load it via

Having mentioned that you use Debian, I suspect a better place to get
support for your issue is the Debian forums.
 Perhaps: https://forums.debian.net/

However, I don't believe your issue is specific to Debian, but just
general Linux system adminstration. So perhaps any forum related to
linux system adminstration might also help you.

> //192.168.0.103/fileserver /home/norman/fileserver cifs
> auto,rw,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,uid=1000,gid=1000,defaults,iocharset=utf8,username=<HERECOMESMYUSERNAME>,password=<HERECOMESMYPASSWORD>,vers=1.0
> 0 0
>
> in my fstab. It all works fine if I start using it while I am at my
> docking station (with LAN-cable to my router and IP 192.168.0.109), but
> it fails to access (and even re-mount and umount, when not using umount
> -a -t cifs -l) on wifi (having 192.168.0.102 there). But when I umount
> before unplugging, and then unplug and re-mout, it works just fine.
>
> When I am in the situations that it doesn't work, all windows keep stuck
> and I cannot interact with them anymore, if have anything at all to do
> with my NAS (even ls ~, because it's mounted in ~).
>
> I am not a kernel programmer, so I cannot look into the source code to
> tell why this happens, but I can speculate. I believe the NFS-driver is
> somehow linked to the interface it was first connected on. So that, if
> you connect on enp0s25 first, then plug it out, and try to access the

Yes, I don't know your full issue, but I can concur, NFS mounts don't
usually like to have their network connection removed from underneath
them.

> same host (the NAS) when enp0s25 is down, it fails to do something, and
> there seems to be no timeout set by default that prevents the system
> from crashing. So in short: use the IP so long as it works, but if it
> doesn't, use the MAC-address to arp-scan the network, maybe you're on a
> different port now.
>
> Is this reasonable?
>
> If this is the wrong mailing list, I'm very sorry. I'd like to be
> corrected on where to send this to be dealt this properly.

You would be best to find something like a system administration/network
adminstration or networking support forum.

Good luck with your investigations.

Regards

Kieran