Re: [v4l-utils v4 2/5] Add support for meson building

Hi Ariel,

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 07:31:01PM -0300, Ariel D'Alessandro wrote:
> Hi Mauro, Laurent,
>
> I can see this thread didn't follow up.
>
> Regarding Mauro's reasons about why not switching to meson, I totally
> agree with this response from Laurent's. I don't see any of those
> aspects being really an argument on why not supporting meson, but in any
> case, discussion can follow up from there.
>
> On 3/20/21 5:01 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > Hi Mauro,
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 08:32:09PM +0100, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> [snip]
> >>
> >> I'm not a lover of autoconf tools. Yet, replacing from it on this
> >> project sounds a bad idea, for a couple of reasons.
> >>
> >> The main one is that nobody has yet provided any real reason about
> >> *why* auto-tools should be replaced.
>
> IMHO, switching from autotools to meson has many advantages, like a
> clear syntax, an active community and *faster* build speed than autotools.
>
> On a cold cache:
>
>    $ time (meson setup build/ -Ddefault_library=both ; ninja -j4 -C build/)
>    real 0m15.945s ; user 0m51.235s ; sys 0m6.914s
>
>    $ time (./configure ; make -j4)
>    real 0m45.985s ; user 1m57.454s ; sys 0m9.404s
>
> Although I haven't been involved in v4l-utils previously, I can see some
> people interested on having meson build support, I'm not the only one
> involved in this patchset.
>
> I understand that every change comes with a cost, but I believe meson's
> been adopted for some time now, other projects have already done the
> move, and the advantages overcome the possible negative aspects
> mentioned. Again, this is just my humble opinion, and to me that's the
> *why* porting to meson is a good idea :-)
>
> I'd like to hear for other reasons.

Gregor, you've provided feedback on the implementation (thanks about
that), but I don't think I've seen your opinion about the switch to
meson itself. Have I missed it, and if I haven't, could you share your
thoughts ?

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart