Re: [v4l-utils v4 2/5] Add support for meson building

Em Sat, 20 Mar 2021 17:56:10 +0100
Gregor Jasny <gjasny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you again for these patches. Building v4l-utils has never been so
> fast and easy. It will accelerate my Debian / Ubuntu packaging and
> really sparks joy!
>
> On 17.03.21 18:22, Ariel D'Alessandro wrote:
> > Supports building libraries and tools found in contrib/, lib/ and
> > utils/ directories, along with the implemented gettext translations.
>
> Here's a patch on top of your tree:
> https://gitlab.com/gjasny/v4l-utils/-/commit/a9853f79c2675bf08fc3e93f15aa4158c9769bdd
>
> I changed the following:
> * Use pkgconfig to detect libbpf (like configure.ac does)
> * check for libbpf presence in the keytable subdir (like it's done for
> libelf
> * refined the empty rc_keymaps dir hack with something supported by
> meson: https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/2904 (your hack
> stopped working for me with meson on Ubuntu 20.04.2)
>
> With those changes I could successfully build a Debian package using meson.
>
> Thanks,
> Gregor
>
> PS: I could not find Mauro in the CC list.

I'm not a lover of autoconf tools. Yet, replacing from it on this
project sounds a bad idea, for a couple of reasons.

The main one is that nobody has yet provided any real reason about
*why* auto-tools should be replaced.

Auto-tools is reliable, stable and has been used since the
beginning of this project. It is well-known and it is maintained
upstream. It is present on all Linux distros and installing it
doesn't require lots of packages for it to work. It is easy to
keep maintaining it, and I never had to touch the Jenkins builder
due to some troubles with autoconf packages.

The only package we have at jenkins using meson broke quite a
few times due to problems with meson toolset versions.

So, switching from autotools will just place us on an unknown
territory for no reason.

Besides that:

1) meson doesn't support yet in-tree compilation. This is
   a feature that I use a lot;

2) Meson setup is *a way more complex* than autotools. With
   auto-tools, everything is on a single file (plus standard
   Makefiles):

	$ wc -l configure.ac
	660

  The meson config is a way bigger and it is spread on multiple
  files, with is 3 times bigger than our current configure.ac:

  $ wc -l $(find . -name 'meson*' -type f|grep -v .git)
    3 ./v4l-utils-po/meson.build
    3 ./libdvbv5-po/meson.build
  117 ./lib/libv4lconvert/meson.build
   23 ./lib/libv4l-mplane/meson.build
   70 ./lib/libv4l2/meson.build
   36 ./lib/libv4l2rds/meson.build
   61 ./lib/libv4l1/meson.build
  158 ./lib/libdvbv5/meson.build
   11 ./lib/meson.build
  151 ./utils/keytable/rc_keymaps/meson.build
   31 ./utils/keytable/bpf_protocols/meson.build
   81 ./utils/keytable/meson.build
   70 ./utils/dvb/meson.build
   14 ./utils/libmedia_dev/meson.build
    8 ./utils/cx18-ctl/meson.build
   58 ./utils/v4l2-compliance/meson.build
   19 ./utils/cec-follower/meson.build
   80 ./utils/qv4l2/meson.build
   82 ./utils/qvidcap/meson.build
   23 ./utils/ir-ctl/meson.build
   22 ./utils/cec-compliance/meson.build
   16 ./utils/libv4l2util/meson.build
   13 ./utils/rds-ctl/meson.build
   43 ./utils/media-ctl/meson.build
   45 ./utils/libcecutil/meson.build
   18 ./utils/cec-ctl/meson.build
   16 ./utils/v4l2-dbg/meson.build
   75 ./utils/v4l2-ctl/meson.build
   14 ./utils/v4l2-sysfs-path/meson.build
   13 ./utils/ivtv-ctl/meson.build
   46 ./utils/meson.build
   50 ./meson_options.txt
   34 ./doc/meson.build
    8 ./contrib/cobalt-ctl/meson.build
   11 ./contrib/xc3028-firmware/meson.build
   44 ./contrib/gconv/meson.build
    7 ./contrib/rds-saa6588/meson.build
   14 ./contrib/decode_tm6000/meson.build
  143 ./contrib/test/meson.build
   13 ./contrib/meson.build
  318 ./meson.build
 2062 total

  Ok, part of it seems because meson doesn't like Makefiles, which
  is, IMHO, a misfeature, as it makes harder to identify what are
  the actual build instructions for each target.

4) As the new build config files are bigger and use a different
   syntax than configure.ac, it will require time and efforts to
   learn how to use and modify it. Again, there's no need for
   doing that;

5) I don't know how to integrate meson with Coverity, as the
   current procedure assumes an in-tree Makefile set that
   will be used by cov-build to produce an out-of-tree build.

6) with our configure.ac, it is easy to check what options
   were enabled or not:

  compile time options summary
  ============================

    Host OS                    : linux-gnu
    X11                        : yes
    GL                         : yes
    glu                        : yes
    libelf		       : yes
    libjpeg                    : yes
    libudev                    : yes
    pthread                    : yes
    QT version                 : v5.4 with QtGL
    ALSA support               : yes
    SDL support		       : yes

    build dynamic libs         : yes
    build static libs          : yes

    gconv                      : no

    dynamic libv4l             : yes
    v4l_plugins                : yes
    v4l_wrappers               : yes
    libdvbv5                   : yes
    dvbv5-daemon               : yes
    v4lutils                   : yes
    qv4l2                      : yes
    qvidcap                    : yes
    v4l2-ctl uses libv4l       : yes
    v4l2-ctl-32                : no
    v4l2-compliance            : yes
    v4l2-compliance uses libv4l: yes
    v4l2-compliance-32         : no
    BPF IR Decoders:           : no

  at least the current meson patches don't have anything similar.

  This also affects Coverity builds, as we need the selected options
  to be logged, as the coverity scan complains if the code is only
  partially built (to the point to simply ignore incomplete builds):