Re: Asus PN50 CEC

On 08/09/2020 10:13, Timo Ketola wrote:
> On 8.9.2020 10.57, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>> I suspect that this is a BIOS-only implementation that just does the bare minimum
>> for wake up and standby (if enabled).
>
> What does it mean? Is it just that BIOS does not report about it to the OS? If it was implemented with GPIOs, shouldn't it still be possible to write a driver for it - in theory - if we somehow were
> able to find out the GPIOs?

Usually CEC is handled by a microcontroller or a specialized CEC chip.
It's rare to see a pure GPIO implementation.

So it is typically not possible to get access to it if it is all handled in
the BIOS. At least, I've never seen it.

I also suspect that what they call 'CEC' is a really cut-down implementation,
just enough to receive/transmit wake-up and standby messages.

Sadly, without any documentation there isn't anything that can be done about this.

If you want to support CEC under linux, then go with a Pulse-Eight USB CEC adapter:
this is fully supported by linux.

Regards,

	Hans