RE: Requested feedback on V4L2 driver design

Laurent,

Sincerely,
Chase Maupin
Software Applications
Catalog DSP Products
e-mail: chase.maupin@xxxxxx
phone: (281) 274-3285

For support:
Forums - http://community.ti.com/forums/
Wiki - http://wiki.davincidsp.com/

The proxy driver is the piece of code in the firmware that is actually exposing the VPSS API to the master CPU.  It is responsible for listening for requests from the master CPU and then executing those requests on the VPSS CPU.  Without the proxy there is no way to tell the VPSS CPU which functions to execute.

> > As for the license of the firmware this is still being worked.  It is
> > currently under TI proprietary license and will be distributed as binary
> > under Technical Software Publicly Available (TSPA) which means it can be
> > obtained by anyone.  If you feel that source code is required for the
> > firmware at launch to gain acceptance please let us know and we can
> start
> > working that issue.
>
> I think it would definitely help keeping the Linux driver and the VPSS
> firmware in sync if the VPSS firmware source was available. The firmware
> source code could even be distributed along with the Linux driver.

Thanks for the input.  We'll keep this in mind and see what we can do.

> By the way, will the firmware be loaded at runtime by the driver, or will
> it
> be stored internally in the chip ?

The firmware will not be stored internally on the chip and will have to be loaded at runtime.  We have not settled on how the loading will be done.  Currently we are thinking on loading it from u-boot similar to an FPGA firmware load but it could also be done from the kernel.