Requested feedback on V4L2 driver design

All,

Texas Instruments (TI) is working on the design for the V4L2 capture and display drivers for our next generation system-on-chip (SoC) processor and would like to solicit your feedback.  Our new SoCs have been improved to allow for higher video resolutions and greater frame rates.  To this end the display hardware has been moved to a separate processing block called the video processing subsystem (VPSS).  The VPSS will be running a firmware image that controls the capture/display hardware and services requests from one or more host processors.

Moving to a remote processor for the processing of video input and output data requires that commands to control the hardware be passed to this processing block using some form of inter-processor communication (IPC).  TI would like to solicit your feedback on proposal for the V4L2 driver design to get a feel for whether or not this design would be accepted into the Linux kernel.  To this end we have put together an overview of the design and usage on our wiki at http://wiki.davincidsp.com/index.php/Video_Processing_Subsystem_Driver_Design.  We would greatly appreciate feedback from community members on the acceptability of our driver design.

Sincerely,
Chase Maupin
Software Applications
Catalog DSP Products