Re: [ANNOUNCE] git tree repositories & libv4l

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 02/24/2010 01:58 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I see good, thanks! Can someone (Douglas ?) with better hg / git powers
>>> then me please
>>> somehow import all the libv4l changes from:
>>> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~hgoede/libv4l
>>
>> Ok, I added there. The procedure were simple: I ran Brandon script again,
>> but after pulling from your tree. Then, I used git format-patch to
>> generate
>> a quilt series, and used git quiltimport on the correct -git tree.
>>

> Thanks!
>

>>> Once that is done I'll retire my own tree, and move all my userspace
>>> work to
>>> the git tree.
>>>
>>> For starters I plan to create / modify Makefiles so that everything will
>>> build
>>> out of the box, and has proper make install targets which can be used by
>>> distro's
>>>
>>> So:
>>> -proper honoring of CFLAGS
>>> -work with standard (and possibly somewhat older kernel headers)
>>> -honor DESTDIR, PREFIX and LIBDIR when doing make install
>>
>> The better here is to have the latest kernel headers copied on the tree.
>> This way, it is possible to compile libv4l2 with an older kernel
>> version and
>> later upgrade the kernel, if needed, or to use a fast machine to compile
>> it, and then use it on another machine.
>>

> If possible I would like to avoid this, afaik no other userspace utility
> packages
> are doing this.
>
> Where necessary libv4l currently has code snippets like:
>
> #ifndef V4L2_PIX_FMT_SPCA501
> #define V4L2_PIX_FMT_SPCA501 v4l2_fourcc('S','5','0','1') /* YUYV per
> line */
> #endif
>
> So libv4l (in its current state) will already compile fine with older
> kernel
> headers. I expect that the other utilities will not need a lot of
> recent kernel ABI. So for now I would like to try and extend the above
> approach
> to the other utilities.

I think build will fail. I remember I had some such troubles when compiling
it against RHEL5, before we did the merge with the in-tree videodev2.h.

It should be reminded that, when people upgrade their kernels by hand,
they generally don't run "make headers_install". So, the kernel headers
on /usr/include/linux are the ones found on the original distro kernel,
and not the ones that are needed by the user.

> The reason for this is that I want to avoid carrying a copy of a dir
> from some
> other tree, with all getting stale and needing sync all the time issues
> that
> come with that,

The sync problem will keep existing, since some of the tools from
this tree are used as examples on media-specs.

> not to mention chicken and egg problems in the case of
> new formats which simultaneously  need to be added to both libv4l and
> the kernel.
>
> For example often I add support for V4L2_PIX_FMT_NEW_FOO to libv4l,
> before it
> hits any official v4l-dvb kernel tree, with the:
> #ifndef V4L2_PIX_FMT_SPCA501
> #define V4L2_PIX_FMT_SPCA501 v4l2_fourcc('S','5','0','1') /* YUYV per
> line */
> #endif
>
> Approach this works fine, if I were to carry an include tree copy, that
> would
> now need to become a patched include tree copy, and with the next sync I
> then
> need to ensure that any needed patches are either already in the sync
> source,
> or applied again.

True, but the additional work for those occasional changes are minimum, and
may save some time when handling complains about why the tree don't build
on his machine.

--

Cheers,
Mauro