Re: pac207: problem with Trust USB webcam

Hi,

On 02/17/2010 01:04 AM, Adam Baker wrote:
On Tuesday 16 Feb 2010, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi,

You need to use libv4l and have your apps patched
to use libv4l or use the LD_PRELOAD wrapper.

Here is the latest libv4l:
http://people.fedoraproject.org/~jwrdegoede/libv4l-0.6.5-test.tar.gz

And here are install instructions:
http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/7622.html

Hi,

libv4l is already packaged by lenny but doing

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so xawtv

results in either a plain green screen or a mostly green screen with some
picture visible behind it. IIRC this is due to a bug in older versions of
xawtv. I didn't try vlc as it wanted to install too many dependencies but I
did try cheese which also wouldn't work.

I did find I could capture single frames with

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so vgrabbj -d /dev/video0>grab.jpg

or

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so fswebcam --save grab2.jpg

which suggests that the packaged libv4l is fine and it is just the apps that
are an issue.

Yes that is very likely I'm the author and maintainer of both libv4l and the
pac207 kernel driver and I have 5 different pac207 based cams to test with and
all work well on a variety of computers.

xawtv indeed is known to be buggy, and cheese too has had some bad releases.

Anyways I don't know how old the libv4l is in Lenny, but you will want at least
version 0.6.0, as that has some fixes for the pac207 compression, and prefarably
0.6.1 as that some desirable bug fixes. The releases past 0.6.2 mainly add
support for other webcam compressions.

Regards,

Hans