Re: pac207: problem with Trust USB webcam

On Tuesday 16 Feb 2010, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You need to use libv4l and have your apps patched
> to use libv4l or use the LD_PRELOAD wrapper.
>
> Here is the latest libv4l:
> http://people.fedoraproject.org/~jwrdegoede/libv4l-0.6.5-test.tar.gz
>
> And here are install instructions:
> http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/7622.html

Hi,

libv4l is already packaged by lenny but doing

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so xawtv

results in either a plain green screen or a mostly green screen with some
picture visible behind it. IIRC this is due to a bug in older versions of
xawtv. I didn't try vlc as it wanted to install too many dependencies but I
did try cheese which also wouldn't work.

I did find I could capture single frames with

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so vgrabbj -d /dev/video0 >grab.jpg

or

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so fswebcam --save grab2.jpg

which suggests that the packaged libv4l is fine and it is just the apps that
are an issue.

Adam Baker