Re: "However, if you don't want to lose your freedom, you had better not follow him." (Re: Videotext application crashes the kernel due to DVB-demux patch)

On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 04:58 +0100, hermann pitton wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 06.02.2010, 09:55 +0100 schrieb Chicken Shack:
> > Am Samstag, den 06.02.2010, 01:25 +0100 schrieb hermann pitton:

> 3.
> Also confirmed, your 1.7.0 version did work on a latest unpatched F11
> 2.6.30 without setting the teletext pid explicitly, providing the
> information what else is around there, and next should allow switching
> through all teletext stuff with the UI I guess.
>
> Taking the oopses now, you are likely right, that we have a backward
> compat regression here and should try to fix it.

I'm looking at this still, just not quickly.

The over-abundance of the use of the words "demux", "dmx", "dvb",
"feed", "ts", and "sec" in the dvb-core make code analysis difficult.
I'm putting the dvb-core data structures into a UML tool, so I can get
some decent class and collaboration diagrams to have a good picture of
the relationships.

I can say that the easiest fix will most likely be that in dmxdev.h:

struct dmxdev_filter {
        union {
                /* list of TS and PES feeds (struct dmxdev_feed) */
                struct list_head ts;
                struct dmx_section_feed *sec;
        } feed;

"feed" should no longer be a union, or that "feed.sec" should be
converted to a list as well.

It appears under certain circumstances "feed.sec" is being set to NULL,
which corrupts the "feed.ts" list head.   The "feed.ts" list head is
being properly intiialized in dvb_demux_open(), so that's not the
problem.

Regards,
Andy