Re: "However, if you don't want to lose your freedom, you had better not follow him." (Re: Videotext application crashes the kernel due to DVB-demux patch)

Am Samstag, den 06.02.2010, 01:25 +0100 schrieb hermann pitton:
> Am Samstag, den 06.02.2010, 00:39 +0100 schrieb Chicken Shack:

> > > Yes, you say it. It definitely will go away and we do have not any
> > > influence on that! Did you not notice the very slow update rate these
> > > days?
> >
> > a. NOTHING "will go away". This is empty rant, nothing else it is!
> > In US teletext is dead, yes. In Europe analogue television is close to
> > dead. Yes.
> > But I have found no information source that teletext will disappear in
> > general. At least not in Europe or Germany.
> > So if you keep that up then prove the assertion please.
>
> In the UK too. And after world war II we always followed BBC.
> Not that bad ...
>
> http://pressetext.com/news/090720037/nutzung-von-teletext-hat-den-zenit-erreicht
>
> > What slow update rate please?
> > What the hell are you talking about, man?
>
> Previously information available there was updated within minutes, now
> in best case every six hours it seems to me.

> > > Then maybe better tell what you tried already, instead leaving others
> > > behind doing the same in vain again?
> >
> > Goddamn! I've investigated a lot, and I have written down everything I
> > did.
> > See, even if you are too lazy to read all that go blame yourself for
> > that lazyness, but not me, OK?
>
> My, I see a difficult to identify something of code around, not in any
> major distribution. One can link to any headers wanted, and scripts seem
> to be wrapped around too as liked ...
>
> > > Mauro always did try to keep backward compat as much as possible and
> > > others had to tell him better not to waste his time on it.
> > >
> > > You hit the wrong guy again and he can't even test anything.
> >

> > All I want him is to immediately and forever stop spreading nonsense and
> > demotivate people and offer us all that propagandist style that I and
> > others do not appreciate at all.
> >
> > Unfortunately I am missing the American English equivalent for
> > "Differenziertheit". Is it "straightforwardness"?
> >
> > This is what I am missing when you start to express yourself.
> >
> > Your "test" of alevt-dvb-t may serve as an example:
> >
> > Noone knows your card type, noone knows your reception area,
> > transponder, channel. All we know from you is a pid.
>
> You did report all that? The pid is from ZDF DVB-T from
> Frankfurt/Main/Feldberg on a saa7134 Medion Quadro, should not matter at
> all.

I was stating 2 things for several times:

a. I am working with DVB-S equipment (Flexcop Rev. 2.8, sold as
Technisat Skystar).

b. It is not impossible to adjust the application (alevt-dvb) to the new
needs of the current demux device.

This important aspect was simply bypassed and ignored.
There is no need to bury its compatibility right into the mud.

Instead of that everybody talks about possible kernel alternatives, time
factors, incompatibilities etc. And then everybody concludes that it's
better not to change anything and buries the discussion.
And buries the teletext compatibility of future kernels without any
perspective.

I scratch my head reading all that!
How absurd! What the hell is going on in your minds?

> > And that there are versions of alevt-dvb who are incapable for parallel
> > tasking due to a wrong DVB patch you simply missed as a matter of fact.
> > So what the hell did you get at all, man?
>
> They really do exist, or only the sripts around?

I'll attach an overworked version with all available patches that make
sense applied. This version is free from cruft and it is capable of
parallel tasking (i. e. DVB-S playback and recording plus teletext at
the same time without kernel complaints). The parallel tasking
capability has got NOTHING to do with any "scripts around".
It really sucks to put facts against written nonsense of you, Hermann,
and of MCC of course.
This is not the level of constructive elaborated discussion at all!

Some people sampled around here should _urgently_ reflect the ideals
they stand for when they perform kernel or application hacking here.

To produce kernel regressions without taking the responsibility for the
consequences is simply an intolerable behaviour.

I've always thought that Stallman hopelessly exaggerates when he is
beating his _marketing drum_ for his ideas -
exaggeration as stylistic device.

But I have changed my mind - I think this guy is right. there is no
exaggeration at all.

And here is the link to read the context:

http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Richard_Stallman_On_Novell__The_GPL_and_Linus_Torvalds

The _blind followers_ seem to grow instead of vanishing!

Cheers

CS