Re: Need to discuss method for multiple, multiple-PID TS's from same demux (Re: Videotext application crashes the kernel due to DVB-demux patch)

Andreas Oberritter wrote:
> Andy Walls wrote:

>>> As Honza noted, these ioctls are used by enigma2 and, in general, by
>>> software running on Dream Multimedia set top boxes.
>> Right, so reverting the patch is not an option.
>>
>> It also makes implementing multiple dvr0.n nodes for a demux0 device
>> node probably a waste of time at this point.
>
> I think so, too. But I guess it's always worth discussing alternatives.

If this discussion happened before 2.6.32 release, and provided that a different
implementation were agreed, things would be easier, as a different solution like
your proposal could be decided and used.

Now, we have already a regression on a stable kernel, and solving it by
creating another regression is not something smart to do.

>From what I understood, the regression appeared on an old, orphan
application with a non-official patch applied on it. Other applications with
similar features weren't affected. On the other hand, if the patch got reverted,
we'll break a maintained application that is used on a great number of devices,
and whose features depend on the new ioctls.

We are too late in -rc cycle, so probably there's not enough time for
writing, test, validate any new API in time for 2.6.33 and write some compat
layer to emulate those two ioctls with a different implementation.

So, removing those two ioctls is not an option anymore.

Cheers,
Mauro