Re: [Bug report] dvbv5-zap crash dvb-tool ARMHF builds

Em Thu, 28 Mar 2019 20:48:34 +0100
Gregor Jasny <gjasny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Hello,
>
> On 28.03.19 20:17, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Em Thu, 28 Mar 2019 19:48:35 +0100
> > Samuel CHEMLA <chemla.samuel@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
> >> 1) I did reproduce the bug with a serial console, but the serial
> >> console was also frozen, and there was no message before freeze.
> >
> > The only way for a machine to freeze even on serial console is due to
> > a very serious Kernel or hardware bug, like a bad lock/semaphore.
>
> Does anything speak against upgrading Debian to latest 1.16.5 release?

I don't think so. The changes we did were just at memory allocation/free
with standard glibc malloc()/calloc()/free() functions.

The kind of errors Samuel are experiencing are machine freezes.
dvbv5-utils can't cause such kind of errors, as it doesn't run in
privileged mode, nor do anything potentially harmful.

So, even the most serious issue there won't cause a machine crash.

For a machine to crash, it has to be triggering a Kernel bug
or some memory corruption outside its memory space (e.g. triggering
some glibc bug - with also seems very unlikely).

Thanks,
Mauro