Re: IMX CSI capture issues with tda1997x HDMI receiver

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 3:22 PM Steve Longerbeam <slongerbeam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2/8/19 1:23 PM, Tim Harvey wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 5:54 PM Steve Longerbeam <slongerbeam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> > <snip>
> >> Sorry, maybe I didn't mention this, but passthrough cannot go though the
> >> IPU, you can only send passthrough pixels out the CSI directly to
> >> /dev/videoN interface (the ipu_csi:2 pad).
> >>
> > crud... this has been my issue all along with that set of UYVY8_1X16
> > pipelines then. So this means the mem2mem driver also won't be able to
> > handle 16bit pixel formats as well.
>
> Ugh, let me rephrase. UYVY8_1X16 incoming on a parallel bus (not MIPI
> CSI-2) to the CSI cannot be sent through the IPU, those pixels must be
> sent directly to the ipu_csi:2 pad to /dev/videoN. At least according
> the the imx6 register manual.
>
> But that's not a limitation of the mem2mem driver because the pixels are
> coming from a memory buffer and not a 16-bi parallel bus via the CSI
> (and in any case mem2mem does not deal in media bus codes, it speaks
> V4L2_PIX_FMT_* which contains no bus info). So yes, you can receive
> UYVY8_1X16 on the CSI parallel bus, routed to ipu_csi:2 pad to
> /dev/videoN, and then pipe that to mem2mem v4l2convertN element in a
> gstreamer pipeline.
>

> >   So while I can downscale this by
> > multiples of 2 (independent width/height), CSC convert it from
> > srgb/bt.601 to yuv/bt.709, and even pixel reorder it within YUV  via
> > the ipu_csi entitty I'll never be able to deinterlace,
>
> that's true, currently you can't use the VDIC to do motion compensated
> de-interlacing, but you can still make use of the IDMAC interweave
> feature to deinterlace without motion compensation.
>
> >   scale with
> > flexibility, flip/rotate or do a RGB->YUV CSC on it as those are all
> > features of the IC path.
>
> mem2mem v4l2convertN element will do those for you (flexible up/down
> scaling, flip/rotate, and CSC).

ah... ok right using mem2mem is precisely that 'mem to mem' and not
direct CSI to IPU.

Ok so i experimented with some pipelines and perhaps am setting them
up wrong. I'll respond to the imx-media mem2mem patch with my
observations and expiriments.

Thanks,

Tim