Re: P010 fourcc format support - Was: Re: Kernel error "Unknown pixelformat 0x00000000" occurs when I start capture video

Em Wed, 09 Jan 2019 11:52:45 -0500
Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Le jeudi 10 janvier 2019 à 00:42 +0800, Ayaka a écrit :
> > > There is a UVC media device that supports P010 device. We're discussing
> > > about adding support for it on media. The full thread is at:
> > >
> > > https://lore.kernel.org/linux-media/20190109121900.hbrpttmxz3gaotwx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/T/#m8c395156ca0e898e4c8b1e2c6309d912bc414804
> > >
> > > We've seen that you tried to submit a patch series for DRM adding
> > > support for it at the rockship driver. What's the status of such
> > > series?
> > Rockchip would use another 10bit variant of NV12, which is merged as NV12LE40 at Gstreamer and I sent another patch for it, but I didn’t receive any feedback from that.

Hmm... We have already NV12 format at media subsystem side:
Documentation/media/uapi/v4l/pixfmt-nv12.rst

Did we miss some patch from you?

> For extra detail, the Rockchip variant is fully packed, with no padding
> bits, while the Microsoft variant uses 16bits per pixels, with 6bits
> padding. It was a mistake to use P010 initially for the Rockchip
> format.

Yeah, P010 format seems to be a waste of bandwidth. Yet, as we're
now having devices using it (via uvcdriver), it would make sense to
merge the single plane format for it. I would merge the P016 too, as
P010 seems to be just a degradation of it.

Ayaka,

Would it be possible for you to re-send the P010/P016 documentation
for single plane, fixing the typo (simliar -> similar)?

Let's not merge the dual plane formats, as we don't need them
yet at the Kernel.

Thanks,
Mauro