Re: Bad image/sound quality with Medion MD 95700

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009, TAXI wrote:

> BOUWSMA Barry schrieb:
> > Now rebuild the kernel or the dvb_usb_cxusb module, reboot or load
> > the new module, and try it and see if it is better.

> Great job, it works!
>
> Thank you so much :)
> Should we try the isoc transfer now?

Yes.

I wish I could find a clean patch that I used in the past -- but
it is hidden on a disk...  somewhere...  somewhere...

I may have to send an untested patch.  Boy, I wish I could copy
and paste with my mouse  :-)

Here is some source code which I have from 2005, with the ISOC
parameters that used to be used...

	.generic_bulk_ctrl_endpoint = 0x01,
	/* parameter for the MPEG2-data transfer */
	.urb = {
		.type = DVB_USB_ISOC,
		.count = 5,
		.endpoint = 0x02,
		.u = {
			.isoc = {
				.framesperurb = 32,
				.framesize = 940,
				.interval = 5,
			}
		}
	},

	.num_device_descs = 1,
	.devices = {
		{   "Medion MD95700 (MDUSBTV-HYBRID)",

The idea is to fit this into the cxusb_medion_properties that
is probably near line 900 of your present source, plus or minus
however many changes there have been in the past five kernel
releases since my 2.6.27-rc4.

These are the lines which now look much like  .type = USB_BULK,
and so on.

THIS IS NOT A CHANGE WHICH NORMAL USERS SHOULD TRY TO MAKE.
IT WILL ONLY WORK FOR THE ORIGINAL UN-MODDED MEDION 95700.

Of course, you will first want to
$  mv -iv cxusb.c  cxusb.c-bulk-hack
$  cp -pvi  cxusb.c-DIST  cxusb.c
then make your changes to the unchanged original cxusb.c

In a later patch which I have intended to be compatible for all
users, I have this set somewhere else, with lines similar to

+#else
+/* XXX try to switch to using ISOC instead of BULK */
+/* XXX debug */		err("attempting to use isoc transfers on alt6 ep");
+			props->adapter->stream.type = USB_ISOC;
+			props->adapter->stream.u.isoc.framesperurb = 32;
+			props->adapter->stream.u.isoc.framesize = 940;
+			props->adapter->stream.u.isoc.interval = 5;
+
+#endif /* XXX HACK */

But this patch is very messy, and I must clean it up before I
can even think of posting it to the list...

I hope this can get you started, as I continue to search for a
simple patch which does the above, but correctly.

batty bouwsma