Re: [PULL] http://www.kernellabs.com/hg/~dheitmueller/hvr-1600-alsa-2

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 20.12.2009, 22:44 -0500 schrieb Andy Walls:
> On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 22:33 -0500, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Andy Walls <awalls@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hmmm on the current v4l-dvb tree, the command
> > >
> > > $ v4l/scripts/checkpatch.pl --no-tree --strict  \
> > >        -f linux/drivers/media/video/cx18/cx18-driver.c
> > >
> > > yields warnings about pre-existing >80 column lines and
> > > LINUX_VERSION_CODE checks.
> > >
> > > Was there something else?
> >
> > No, that's what I'm talking about.  I figured if you wanted to split
> > the CX18_ERR messages to fit on 80 columns, that is really at your
> > discretion, not mine.   I can certainly do it, of course, but I
> > personally believe it's one of those cases where it is better to not
> > split them.
>
> Ah.  No I wouldn't bother.  The LKML has some churn on checkpatch's 80
> column warning in the past few days:
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/12/17/208
>
> In that thread Joe Perches posted a compromise:
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/12/18/3
>
> I'll wait and see how it comes out.
>
> BTW I have got unsubscribe from the LKML - way too many emails in my
> inbox.
>
> Regards,
> Andy
> > Devin

just as a side note.

IIRC, this took about two years to come through now.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/12/18/276

Some people did stop to post patches at all and other patches were lost,
because such last steps of bureaucrac(z)y were too much for more than a
few ...

Most annoying, since also lines in patch offsets were marked as errors,
residing since many years in kernel and accepted once without
complaints, now should be corrected by one just trying to add a new
similar functional device.

It is often hard enough to figure out some new unknown hardware.

Then, given the back and forth on it and all, even with best will, one
could trap into cases even a full weekend is not enough to add some five
to eight lines of code correctly within some such minefield
exposed/created by such rules for an average contributor ...

Alone, that counted code lines in kernel can nearly double by doing so
should be enough to make it never a strict rule, I thought ...

Cheers,
Hermann