Re: [patch, libv4l]: add sdlcam example for testing digital still camera functionality

Hi!

> > Utilities like v4l2-ctl are tied closely to the kernel and are updated whenever
> > new APIs appear. But yet another viewer?
> >
> > Mauro, I find that v4l-utils is a bit polluted with non-core utilities.
> > IMHO it should only contain the core libv4l2, core utilities and driver-specific
> > utilities. I wonder if we should make a media-utils-contrib for all the non-core
> > stuff.
> >
> > What is your opinion?
>
> One of the purposes the v4l-utils repository has is that the distributions
> get these programs included to their v4l-utils package as it's typically
> called. It's debatable whether or how much it should contain device specific
> or otherwise random projects, but having a common location for such programs
> has clear benefits, too.
>
> Based on how this one looks it is definitely not an end user application (I
> hope I'm not miscategorising it) and as Pavel mentioned, it has been useful
> in testing automatic focus / gain control on N900.

Well, I intend to take some photos with it. But yes, it is more useful
for testing -- it is hard to test digital camera without taking photos
-- and eventually I'd like to turn most of it into a library which
"real" camera application would link to.

But that's future. For now I'd like to have something I can test the
kernel drivers with, and perhaps take some photos in the process.

Best regards,
									Pavel