Re: CEC button pass-through

Hi Hans,

On 03/21/2017 11:46 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 03/21/2017 07:23 PM, Eric Nelson wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> I don't have the 2.0 spec, so I'm not sure what messages to look for
>>> in the logs from libCEC.
>>>
>>> I have a complete log file here, and it shows messages to and from
>>> the television, though in a pretty verbose form.
>>>
>>> http://pastebin.com/qFrhkNZQ
>>>

>> I think this is the culprit:
>> cec-uinput: L8: << 10:8e:00
>>

>> The 1.3 spec says this about the 8E message:
>>
>> "If Menu State indicates activated, TV enters ‘Device Menu Active’
>> state and forwards those Remote control commands, shown in
>> Table 26, to the initiator. If deactivated, TV enters ‘Device Menu Inactive’
>> state and stops forwarding remote control commands".
>>
>> In section 13.12.2, it also says this:
>>
>> "The TV may initiate a device’s menu by sending a <Menu Request>
>> [“Activate”] command. It may subsequently remove the menu by sending
>> a <Menu Request> [“Deactivate”] message. The TV may also query a
>> devices menu status by sending a <Menu Request> [“Query”]. The
>> menu device shall always respond with a <Menu Status> command
>> when it receives a <Menu Request>."
>>

> That sounds plausible. When you tested with my CEC framework, did you also
> run the cec-follower utility? That emulates a CEC follower.

Yes. I'm running it with no arguments.

> Note: you really need to use the --cec-version-1.4 option when configuring
> the i.MX6 CEC adapter since support for <Menu Request> is only enabled with
> CEC version 1.4. It is no longer supported with 2.0.

I'm not sure what I did in my previous attempt, but I'm now seeing
both the arrow and function key sets being received by cec-ctl and
cec-follower with --cec-version-1.4.

Or not. Removing the --cec-version-1.4 parameter still shows these
events, but after a re-boot and re-selection of the proper source
on my TV shows that they're no longer coming up with or without
the parameter.

Further testing showed that by running the older driver and libCEC
code, then re-booting into the new kernel (with cec-ctl) shows the
messages with or without the flag.

In other words, the TV seems to retain some state from the
execution of the Pulse8/libCEC code.

Is there a way to send a raw message to the television using cec-ctl?

Never mind, I found it and after a bunch of messing around,
confirmed that I can get the menu keys to be passed from my
TV by sending the 0x8e command with a payload of 0x00 to
the television:

~/# cec-ctl --custom-command=cmd=0x8e,payload=0x00 --to=0

Thanks for your help with this.

Regards,

Eric