matthieu castet wrote:
Hi,

what's the status of tm6010 support ?

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg04048.html announced some patches,
but nothing seems to have happened ?

Matthieu

Mauro has it on his TODO list:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg08770.html

I'm not spending any time on this at the moment, and probably won't in the future. I spent some time reading the code for the existing driver and submitted a few trivial patches, and quite a bit of time with a USB sniffer to try and determine where the Linux and Windows XP driver behaved differently. But I have subsequently purchased an Asus My-Cinema U3100 Mini (DVB-T only) that is cheap and worked out of the box on Ubuntu. So I no longer have much motivation to work on this.

I was surprised to find that data sheets are difficult to obtain for the tm6010, and for a lot of other chips used in TV devices as well. Why? I thought these companies made money by selling chips in significant volume rather than by selling development kits. So surely they would sell more chips by making documentation available to anyone who wants to support their products. If there are trade secrets they are trying to protect surely these are in the hardware and firmware rather than the driver and the protocols used to communicate with the hardware. Perhaps someone on this list can explain how this makes business sense.

So it seems it is common practice to use reverse engineering to get drivers working. This is a lot of work and makes me really appreciate the work that has been put in by v4l developers.

Kevin Wells