Re: Are you getting my emails? -- resubmit tda18271 pull requests.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Em Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:16:36 -0400
> Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
>> <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Michael,

>> [snip]
>>
>> > Michael,
>> >
>> > As I pointed at the thread related to sysfs x ioctl, this merge is particularly
>> > complicated, since we have merges that depends on two arch merges, and we have
>> > a set of patches in the middle of the patches merged before the open of the merge
>> > window that touches on every driver, including the pending ones.
>>
>> Thank you for your reply -- I am just glad to know that you have
>> indeed received my mail :-)
>>
>> You mentioned that you replied to me in the "sysfs x ioctl" thread --
>> the thread was so long and I didn't have time to read it, so I had no
>> idea that you responded to *my* pull request there :-P  Next time,
>> maybe you should cc me if you think I should read something.  :-)
>
> Yes, most of us are focused on merging things instead of discussing API
> changes. In fact, it was one of the first replies to that thread, where I asked
> to postpone such discussions, explaining my merge plans.
>
> Merge window is not the right time for discussing any API changes, since developers
> should be focusing on merging their stuff, solving merge conflicts and checking
> if patches applied via other trees (especially the backported ones) won't break
> the drivers.
>
> I plan to re-open the API changes discussion after the end of the merge window.
>

>> > So, we'll basically have more than one git pull request, in order to solve the
>> > merging conflicts.
>> >
>> > There are a few remaining pull requests on my tree, including new drivers and
>> > your tuner redesign. I haven't actually looked at the code, since I'm very busy
>> > merging the code we have, but assuming that this changeset could be touching on
>> > several drivers, I opted to hold its analysis after fixing the arch
>> > cross-dependencies, to avoid the risk of not having a tree to put those patches,
>> > holding the process again.
>>

>> Maybe there is a misunderstanding -- I did *not* do any tuner redesign
>> -- there were no API changes -- these are feature improvements and bug
>> fixes for the tda18271 driver, ONLY.
>>
>> I do have a RFC outstanding for a method to handle DVB frontend
>> operations at the bridge driver level, but I did not yet issue a pull
>> request for that -- I was actually planning to wait for *after* the
>> merge window before requesting a merge for those changes.
>
> Ah, I had the understanding that this series were part of the bridge driver
> changes.

Nope.  The description of my pull request and the diffstat should have
made it clear that this affects the TDA18271 stuff, only.

No worries -- I'm glad we cleared this up now :-)

> Ok, if they don't touch on other drivers, nor depend that I merge any new
> driver, I'll apply them sooner.
>
> Anyway, I noticed on your last email that you've grouped several pull requests
> at the same email. As I said before, please don't do it, since my control is
> one patch or pull request by email. So, or you can fold everything into one hg
> tree, or just send them as separate pull requests, if they are independent.
>
>> > As I'm saying, the fact that we're not using clones of upstream -git trees for
>> > development makes everything hard, during the merge window.
>>
>> I understand.  I think there may have been a misunderstanding -- The
>> merge requests that I have pending are localized changes that dont
>> affect other drivers.  No redesign at all...  I'd appreciate it if you
>> could handle these tda18271 pull requests soon for 2.6.32, so that I
>> can continue on with development -- I'll continue to hold off the
>> larger changes for after the merge window.
>
> Ok.

Here is the new pull request.  If, for some reason, you have a
conflict with the parts that touch saa7134-dvb, cx23885-dvb or
pvrusb2-dvb, then you should just pull from the "tda18271-fix" tree --
that's why I had the two trees separate.  However, there is no reason
why you should experience any conflict, as these changesets are local
to the tda18271 driver and drivers that use it.

I will send the new pull request in a separate email, but also sending
here for your convenience.

Please pull from:

http://kernellabs.com/hg/~mkrufky/tda18271-merge

for the following:

- tda18271: add support for additional low-power standby modes
- tda18271: add debug to show which standby mode is in use
- tda18271: add new standby mode: slave tuner output / loop thru on
- tda18271: change output feature configuration to a bitmask
- tda18271: move tda18271_sleep directly below tda18271_init
- tda18271: move small_i2c assignment to the state config block
- tda18271: ensure that configuration options are set for multiple instances
- tda18271: improve error log in function tda18271_write_regs
- tda18271: fix comments and make tda18271_agc debug less verbose
- tda18271: update temperature compensation calculatation formula
- tda18271: fix bad data in tda18271_cid_target table
- merge: ~mkrufky/tda18271
- saa7134: disable tda18271 slave tuner output / loop thru in standby mode
- pvrusb2: disable tda18271 slave tuner output / loop thru in standby mode
- cx23885: disable tda18271 slave tuner output / loop thru in standby mode

 common/tuners/tda18271-common.c |    6
 common/tuners/tda18271-fe.c     |  230 +++++++++++++-------
 common/tuners/tda18271-maps.c   |    6
 common/tuners/tda18271-priv.h   |   22 +
 common/tuners/tda18271.h        |   55 +++-
 video/cx23885/cx23885-dvb.c     |    4
 video/pvrusb2/pvrusb2-devattr.c |    2
 video/saa7134/saa7134-dvb.c     |    1

Regards,