help: Can't get DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital 4 to work with new kernels

Been grappling with this problem for a while now..
I am using stock linux kernel 2.6.28.9 together with Mythtv (SVN trunk)

For some reason I cannot use 2.6.29.x or 2.6.30.x (latest version I
tried is 2.6.30.5).

Everytime i start mythbackend, the console is littered with the
following messages, and the keyboard input freezes sporadically.
the messages as below:

dvb-usb: recv bulk message failed: -110
cxusb: i2c read failed

i googled for a solution and it seems some got around this by inserted
the IR receiver, I tried but it still doesn't work.

is this a mythtv problem or cxusb issue?

Please help, any pointers appreciated.

regards,