Re: Issues with Empire Dual Pen: request for help and suggestions!!!

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 11:16 AM, <xwang1976@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok,
> I've made the change and now the digital tv works perfectly.
> So now I should test the analog tv, but I fear to have another kernel panic.
> Is there something I can do before testing so that to be sure that at least
> all the file system are in a safety condition even if a kernel panic
> happens.
> I'm wondering if it is the case, for example, to umount them and remount in
> read only mode so that if I have to turn off the pc, nothing can be
> corrupted (is it so?).
> What do you suggest?
> In case, how can I temporarly umount and remout the file systems in read
> only mode? Should I use alt+sys+S followed by alt+sys+U? Can I use such
> commands while I'm in KDE?
> Thank you,
> Xwang

Glad to hear it's working now.  I will add the patch and issue a PULL
request to get it into the mainline (I had to do this already for
several other boards).

Regarding your concerns on panic, as long as you have a modern
filesystem like ext3, and you don't have alot of applications running
which are doing writes, a panic is a pretty safe event.  I panic my
machine many times a week and never have any problems.

Cheers,

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs