Issues with Empire Dual Pen: request for help and suggestions!!!

Hi to all,
I've an Empire Dual Pen usb device.
Up to now I've used Markus driver, but now I've tried to switch to the v4l-dvb driver.
However I've the following issues:
1) the card is not recognized automatically so I've to modprobe the em28xx module with the parameter card=66 2) when scanning for analog tv channels with tvtime-scanner, the system hangs and since the alt+Sys+REISUB procedure does not help, I have to turn off the pc (very, very, very bad)
3) digital tv channels are not tuned by kaffeine (SNR value is always zero).
So the device is not usable.
Can it be fixed or is it better to buy an already supported device? Inthe second case which device can you suggest me? Is this device: http://www.terratec.net/en/products/technical-data/produkte_technische_daten_en_87128.html
supported by the latest v4l drivers.
Thank you for your help,
Xwang

PS: I live in Italy and I use kubuntu 9.04 amd64