Re: [PULL] http://kernellabs.com/hg/~mkrufky/cx23885

Am Dienstag, den 04.08.2009, 23:35 -0300 schrieb Mauro Carvalho Chehab:
> Em Wed, 05 Aug 2009 03:07:29 +0200
> hermann pitton <hermann-pitton@xxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>
> > First of all, it is a pleasure to see Alex here again, he helped a lot
> > in the past.
>
> Agreed.
>

> > Now going off topic.
>
> It would be better if you had changed the subject.
>
> > We have no rules about NDAs.
>
> No, we don't. It should be a personal decision of each developer if he will sign a NDA or not.
>
> I personally think that the better is that, if someone decide to sign it, if he
> could do it via Linux Foundation, due to two reasons:
>
> 1) this way, other people with an NDA with LF can also use the same NDA to improve the driver;
> 2) there will be some Lawyers that will analyze the NDA and see if they'll
> allow a later release of the source code under GPL.
>
> But this is just my 2 cents

Yeah.

I give a simple example.

The huge 5.5 MHz radio IF filter used with tda8290/saa7131e devices to
indicate, that radio/FM support might be present on a board,

is replaced by a bandpath filter, not easily visible any more on later
devices.

Those sitting on NDAs for the follow up devices, since years meanwhile,
did not give the slightest tone, if you are going into deserts with
users to verify radio.

It is hard to believe, that this very minor hardware change, now public
at NXP, was included within NDA restrictions.

Some like to see you walking around in circles.

Cheers,
Hermann