Re: offering bounty for GPL'd dual em28xx support

Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 6:10 AM, Jelle de Jong<jelledejong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So I felt like doing �a field test, with my dvb-t test system.
>>
>> Bus 001 Device 008: ID 2040:6502 Hauppauge WinTV HVR-900
>> Bus 001 Device 007: ID 2304:0226 Pinnacle Systems, Inc. [hex] PCTV 330e
>> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0b05:173f ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
>> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2304:0236 Pinnacle Systems, Inc. [hex]
>> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 15a4:9016
>>
>> I have now three devices with dvb-t channels running with different
>> channels and audio on an atom based cpu without problems.
>>
>> two:
>> dvb-usb-dib0700
>>
>> and one:
>> dvb-usb-af9015
>>
>> the dvb-usb-af9015 takes way more cpu interrupts because of the usb
>> block size.
>>
>> prove:
>> http://imagebin.ca/img/xM9Q7_A.jpg
>>
>> I will be demonstrating this at har2009 (see demonstration village)
>>
>> Devin could you login onto the dvb-t test system and see if you can get
>> those em28xx device running with your new code?
>>
>> I will probably make an other test system with some more cpu power to
>> see if even more usb devices are possible, or I may use my nice powerful
>> multiseat quad core system for it.
>
> Hello Jelle,
>
> Please understand that your experiment isn't really an appropriate
> test.  The original user was referring to analog capture mode, in
> which the uncompressed video is coming across the USB bus.  Analog
> mode uses about 200Mbps while digital mode uses only 10-20Mbps.  If
> you had tried capturing analog video with those devices you would have
> seen similar results to what Steve described.
>
> I haven't forgotten about your test environment, and I look forward to
> getting the HVR-900 R2 and PCTV 330e working.  I have been sick in bed
> for the last two days and have done no LinuxTV related work.  I look
> forward to getting back to it this week.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Devin

Funky timing of those mails :D.

I saw only after sending my mail that Steve was talking about analog and
that this is indeed different. Dual analog tuner support should be
possible right? Maybe with some other analog usb chipsets? I don't know
what the usb blocksize is or if they are isochronous transfers or bulk
or control.

I assume the video must be uncompressed transferred over usb because the
decoding chip is on the usb device is not capable of doing compression
encoding after the analog video decoding? Are there usb devices that do
such tricks?

Best regards,

Jelle