offering bounty for GPL'd dual em28xx support

Hello everyone-

Apologies in advance for spamming the list, but we're after adding dual device support for the existing, GPL'd em28xx tuner driver currently in the mainline Linux kernel. We do not have this development resource in house and had hoped perhaps someone on the list might be capable and interested (or able to point us in the appropriate direction).

By way of more detail, it seems that multiple times in the past, other users have also requested this feature, but it is still not currently available in the current GPL'd driver. For some time support may have been present in the "em28xx-new" driver, provided by Markus Rechberger, but I have since been told it is "discontinued, and does not compile anymore with the latest kernels."

This message thread as recently as April 9th, 2009, seems to indicate interest is still present at the community level, but no resolution was reached by the tail of the conversation:

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg04245.html

Going further back, it does seem that the em28xx-new driver at one point successfully addressed this issue, so supporting multiple devices should be possible with driver modification:

http://mcentral.de/pipermail/em28xx/2008-November/002111.html

We can confirm that a development system running Fedora 11 with the latest stable kernel (2.6.29.5-191.fc11.i686.PAE), with identical em28xx devices connected still exhibits the error message "v4l2: ioctl queue buffer failed: No space left on device" when attempting to display video input on two identical em28xx devices simultaneously.

On the other hand, display is successful through either device when trying to display individually (with both still connected).

We are a small company, which relies on the Linux platform for the core of our products and services. Occasionally a situation presents itself for us to contribute back to the Open Source community (in however small a fashion), either by releasing existing code or contracting a small amount of work to be performed and subsequently released under the GPL. This is one such instance.

If anyone is interested in contributing such work and is prepared to quote for what they feel their time would be worth, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Again, apologies if this message appears to be a misuse of the mailing list, hopefully our intentions are understandable!

Cheers

--

Steve Castellotti
sc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx