Re: Afatech AF9013 DVB-T not working with mplayer radio streams

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Jelle de
Jong<jelledejong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Antti if you can fix this issue and help in the future to make some
> signal strength API for application, like w_scan, you can keep the
> Realtek based dvb-t device I sent to you as a gift, some credits for me
> in patches would also be nice since it takes up a lot of time and money
> on my side to :D

I would *really* like to get the strength/SNR situation straightened
out, since it effects all applications, including just the end user's
ability to get some idea of the strength in Kaffeine (something that
should be relatively simple).  I am continuing to brainstorm ideas
some for of solution that won't be considered ridiculous to some
percentage of the demod maintainers.

I did make an effort to credit you for the patches based on your
hardware so far:

http://www.kernellabs.com/hg/~dheitmueller/em28xx-terratec-zl10353/rev/274eda5953b4

> I tolled the mplayer people maybe 5 month's ago about this issue. They
> were quite simple I had 4 devices that worked with mplayer one did not
> the problem was with the device, they did not want to listen to the idea
> something was wrong with there mplayer. If somebody want to convince
> them with this new prove/research please do so, I let it rest.

In fairness, I can appreciate why the mplayer developers' initial
impression would be that this is a device-level problem since the
software works with many other devices.  I did definitely confirm it
to be a bug though, and now that we know *exactly* what is wrong,
getting a fix upstream into mplayer shouldn't be very hard (it should
be a ten line patch).  I cannot possibly see them suggesting that
sending garbage values from the stack in an ioctl() call is
appropriate behavior.  :-)

If you want, do a cvs checkout of the latest mplayer source, get it to
successfully compile and work in your environment, and I will see
about logging in next week to cook up a patch we can submit upstream.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com