Re: Afatech AF9013 DVB-T not working with mplayer radio streams

Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Jelle de Jong<jelledejong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Antti Palosaari wrote:

>>> For me, this works. I tested this with MT2060 tuner device, as you have
>>> also. If I remember correctly it worked for you also when channel is
>>> selected by using tzap. I don't know what mplayer does differently.
>>>
>>> Do the television channels in that same multiplex work with mplayer?
>>> /usr/bin/mplayer -identify -v -dvbin timeout=10 dvb://"TELEVISION CHANNEL"
>>>
>>> I added some delay for demod to wait lock. Could you try if this helps?
>>> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~anttip/af9015_delay/
>>>
>>> regards
>>> Antti
>> Hi Antti,
>>
>> I will get back to this next week, its a lot of work for me to compile
>> the drivers but I will see if i can get it running. (a pre-compiled
>> driver and some insmod for the 686 2.9.30 kernel would be an fast track
>> option if you want to test it a.s.a.p.)
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Jelle de Jong
>> --
>>

> Antti,
>
> Thanks to Jelle providing an environment to debug the issue in, I
> isolated the problem.  This is actually a combination of bugs in
> mplayer and the af9013 driver not handling the condition as gracefully
> as some other demods.
>
> First the bugs in mplayer:
>
> The following is the line from the channels.conf where tuning failed:
>
> Frequency in question:
> 3FM(Digitenne):722000000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_AUTO:FEC_AUTO:QAM_AUTO:TRANSMISSION_MODE_AUTO:GUARD_INTERVAL_AUTO:HIERARCHY_AUTO:0:7142:1114
>
> Mplayer does not support "TRANSMISSION_MODE_AUTO",
> "GUARD_INTERVAL_AUTO" and "QAM_AUTO" (for the constellation).  In the
> case of the transmission mode and constellation, mplayer does not
> populate the field at all in the struct sent to the ioctl(), so you
> get whatever garbage is on the stack.  For the guard interval field,
> it defaults to GUARD_INTERVAL_1_4 if it is an unrecognized value.
>
> I confirmed the mplayer behavior with the version Jelle has, as well
> as checking the source code in the svn trunk for the latest mplayer.
>
> So, why does it work with some tuners but not the af9013?  Well, some
> demodulators check to see if *any* of the fields are "_AUTO" and if
> any of them are, then it puts the demod into auto mode and disregards
> whatever is in the other fields.  However, the af9013 looks at each
> field, and if any of them are an unrecognized value, the code bails
> out in af9013_set_ofdm_params().   As a result, the tuning never
> actually happens.
>
> The behavior should be readily apparent if you were to put the above
> line into your channels.conf and try to tune (note I had to add
> printk() lines to af9013_set_ofdm_params() to see it bail out in the
> first switch statement.
>
> Anitti, do you want to take it from here, or would you prefer I rework
> [...]

Hi Antti, if you want access to the test environment just give me an
email, it is interesting because currently the Afatech AF9013 DVB-T is
in that weird lock down mode I talked you about! It would be very nice
if you can detect if it is a software or hardware issue, because the
devices doesn't tune anymore but seems to respond to other stuff.

Best regards,

Jelle de Jong