Re: cx18, s5h1409: chronic bit errors, only under Linux

On 06/10/2009 10:32 AM, Steven Toth wrote:
David Ward wrote:
Comcast checked the outlet on channels 2 (41 dB) and 83 (39 dB). I looked afterwards and saw that the first of those is analog programming, but the second just appears as analog noise on my TV set. (??) I asked them to check a specific ATSC channel, but it seems that their meter was fixed to those two frequencies, which doesn't really help. The ATSC rebroadcasts by Comcast are on high frequencies; the program I am testing primarily is on channel 79 (tunes at 555 MHz).

I need to make a correction here. I am receiving all programming over digital cable. I mistakenly thought that rebroadcasts of over-the-air signals on a cable network followed all the ATSC specifications (including the modulation scheme) over the particular carrier frequency. Now I understand that like all other digital cable channels, local channels are broadcasted using QAM rather than 8VSB (but then they also include PSIP data as required by the FCC). So the SNR requirements for QAM-256 are the ones that should apply to my situation. That's a big misunderstanding on my part...my bad.

Which of these three values is UNC/BER and which is snr? I don't understand, I need you to be more specific.

Sorry for not being clear. I tested again thoroughly under both Linux and Windows before writing this response.

Linux is tuning almost all channels at a SNR approximately 3 dB less than under Windows. That is why I now believe this is a tuner driver problem. I composed a table for myself with average SNRs per channel while running both Windows and Linux to determine this, both with the tuner card connected directly to the household cable, and connected behind the splitter in my house.

Under Windows, channels with low frequencies have an SNR of ~35 dB, and channels with high frequency have an SNR of ~33 dB, when connected directly to the household input. The splitter at most gives me a loss of 1 dB but often makes no difference.

Again, sorry for not making that clear. I think the 3 dB difference is the real issue at play here, and is the reason I'm writing this message to this list, rather than one intended for household wiring issues.

Did you get a chance to review the signal monitor to determine whether it was 64 or 256?

All channels are 256-QAM -- reported as such by both Linux and Windows.

If you have any way to attenuate the signal then you'll find that very quickly the windows 30.5 will drop just a little and you'll begin to see real uncorrectable errors. I alluded to this yesterday. With 30.5 your just a fraction above 'working' reliably.

If you were to insert attenuation through some barrel connectors, or join some other cables together to impede the RF, you'd see that 30.5 drop quickly and the errors would begin to appear. I suspect this will still occur, as I mentioned yesterday.

The windows drivers is working slightly better for you but it's still no where near good enough RF for reliable 24x7x365 viewing. You'll find the RF on your local cable rings varies during an average day. It certainly does for me on various products. What looks great today (when you're on the edge) can look ugly at 9pm in the evening or 7am thursday morning.

I wouldn't expect pristine recordings with Microsoft MCE (or other apps) (for any random moment in the week) with a 30.5 reading.

Based on our discussion until now, the difference between 30.5 dB and 33.5 dB should be very significant, and I hope would warrant an investigation into the cause (possibly asking Hauppauge/Conexant to compare details of your tuner drivers against theirs? I understand they provide support to the Linux community). As you said, if Windows was only picking up the channels at 30.5 dB, then I shouldn't expect much more than I am getting now, as I would be riding on a thin line between errors and no errors.

Sorry for not being accurate in some of my earlier messages, and thanks for being patient with me.

David