Re: cx18, s5h1409: chronic bit errors, only under Linux

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Steven Toth <stoth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> David Ward wrote:
>>
>> On 06/08/2009 12:31 PM, Steven Toth wrote:
>>>
>>> Your SNR is very low, 0x12c is 30db. I assume you're using digital cable
>>> this is borderline.
>>
>> Oh okay ... I wasn't sure how to translate those values before.
>>
>>> I like my cable system at home to be atleast 32db (0x140) bare minimum,
>>> it's typically 0x160 (36db) for comfort.
>>
>> In your opinion, would I have enough justification for asking Comcast to
>> increase the signal strength coming to my house?  I'd like to avoid calling
>> someone to come out to my house to say "your TV works fine, what's the
>> problem?" and get slapped with a repair fee.  I wasn't sure how well I could
>> trust the SNR values reported by the card either...  I wish I had a meter or
>> something to test it on my own.  When I move the computer directly to the
>> input for the entire house, I get an increase of about 0.1dB.
>
> No idea, I debug my own cable network issues. That being said, usually cable
> companies like to deliver 0db to the house which is nice and hot, then it
> gets split and energy loss occurs 9as well as noise injection). I usually
> take home some metering equipment from the office to sweep my home network.
>

>> FYI, the signal strength is about 1dB higher for clear QAM signals.  (The
>> values I sent are for ATSC.)
>>
>>> It's possible that the tuner and 1409 driver are a little more optimized
>>> under windows.
>>>
>>> How much attenuation can you add under windows with signal loss? It's
>>> probably reasonably close to the edge also.
>>>
>> I tuned to the same channel under Windows, and I used the Signal Strength
>> Indicator application from Hauppauge (downloadable under the Accessories
>> page in the Support section).  It's reporting a SNR of 29-30 dB, and the
>> value for 'correctable' errors goes to a single-digit value about every 5
>> seconds -- following the same pattern seen with 'azap'.  However, the
>> difference is that 'uncorrectable' errors stays at 0.  Under Linux, it seems
>> that all errors are 'uncorrectable'.
>
> So you don't have much leg room with windows either, certainly not enough
> for my liking. The difference between zero errors and a small handful can be
> pretty small in RF terms.
>

>> Does the error correction occur in the driver or in the chipset?  Seems to
>> me like maybe error correction is either not enabled or not implemented
>> correctly by the driver?
>
> Error recovery is done in the chipset and is only as good as the RF signal
> reaching the demodulator.
>

>> I agree that the SNR could be better, and if you think it is worth a try,
>> I'll see what Comcast will do.  However, because Windows and my TV work
>> almost flawlessly, the Linux driver would ideally handle the signals at
>> least as well as them...
>
> No idea and no I don't agree, just because your TV works doesn't mean the
> Linux driver has to be reliable. That's wishful thinking on your part and
> [...]

Steven,

One thing that is interesting is that he is getting BER/UNC errors
even on ATSC, when he has a 30.2 dB signal.  While I agree that the
cable company could be sending a weak signal, 30 dB should be plenty
for ATSC.

Also, it's possible that the playback application/codec in question
poorly handles recovery from MPEG errors such as discontinuity, which
results in the experience appearing to be worse under Linux.

I'm going to see if I can find some cycles to do some testing here
with s5h1409/s5h1411 and see if I can reproduce what David is seeing.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com