Re: cx18, s5h1409: chronic bit errors, only under Linux

Steven,

One thing that is interesting is that he is getting BER/UNC errors
even on ATSC, when he has a 30.2 dB signal.  While I agree that the
cable company could be sending a weak signal, 30 dB should be plenty
for ATSC.

Also, it's possible that the playback application/codec in question
poorly handles recovery from MPEG errors such as discontinuity, which
results in the experience appearing to be worse under Linux.

I'm going to see if I can find some cycles to do some testing here
with s5h1409/s5h1411 and see if I can reproduce what David is seeing.

Thanks.

I ruled out 30db on ATSC because that sounds incredibly high, I assumed cable because that would be consistent with the numbers. You could well be right.

--
Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com