Re: [RFC 09/10 v2] v4l2-subdev: re-add s_standby to v4l2_subdev_core_ops

On Fri, 22 May 2009, Robert Jarzmik wrote:

> Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovetski@xxxxxx> writes:
>
> >> Usual question: why do you need an init and halt? What do they do?
> >
> > Hm, maybe you're right, I don't need them. init() was used in soc_camera
> > drivers on first open() to possibly reset the chip and put it in some
> > reasonably pre-defined low-power state. But we can do this at the end of
> > probe(), which even would be more correct, because even the first open
> > should not change chip's configuration. And halt() (was called release()
> > originally) is called on last close(). And it seems you shouldn't really
> > do this at all - the chip should preserve its configuration between
> > open/close cycles. Am I right?
>

> > Does anyone among cc'ed authors have any objections against this change? The
> > actual disable should indeed migrate to some PM functions, if implemented.
> If I understand correctly, what was done before was that on last close, the
> sensor was disabled (through sensor->release() call). What will be done now is
> leave the sensor on.
>
> On an embedded system, the power eaten by an active sensor is usually too much
> compared to the other components.
>
> So, if there is a solution which enables, on last close, to power down the
> device (or put it in low power mode), in the new API, I'm OK, even if it's a new
> powersaving function. If there is no such function and there will be a gap
> (let's say kernel 2.6.31 to 2.6.35) where the sensor will be left activated all
> the time, then I'm against.
>
> Let me be even more precise about a usecase :
>  - a user takes a picture with his smartphone
>  - the same user then uses his phone to call his girlfriend
>  - the girlfriend has a lot of things to say, it lasts for 1 hour
> In that case, the sensor _has_ to be switched off.

Nice example, thanks! Ok, of course, we must not leave the poor girl with
her boyfriend's flat battery:-)

I think we can put the camera to a low-power state in streamoff. But - not
power it off! This has to be done from system's PM functions. What was
there on linux-pm about managing power of single devices?...

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.