Re: [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~eandren/gspca/

2009/4/23 Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:21:41 +0200
> Jean-Francois Moine <moinejf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:42:07 -0300
>> Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Wow! 196 patches!
>> >
>> > Instead of submitting such large pull requests, you should had,
>> > instead, submit more frequent smaller pull requests. I'll handle it
>> > directly, but you should be warned that eventually some of those
>> > patches will require changes. On that case, I'll point you the
>> > troubles I may found on the offending patch, and I'll wait for your
>> > fixes or comments about it. Only then I'll proceed (since it has some
>> > chances that you'll need to touch on other patches of this large
>> > series if such case happens).

>> Hi Mauro,
>>
>> Well, as I told him many times, the best for Erik should be to ask you
>> directly to pull his changesets, but we started in an other way.
>
> Ok. Probably he sending patches that don't touch on gspca core would improve
> the process.
>
>> Actually, I have two repositories: 'v4l-dvb' which is under the main
>> v4l-dvb, and 'gspca' which is desynchronized and is used for tests.
>> Erik's repository is under this last one.
>
> Ok, that explains why it hits 196 patches here.
>
>> When I get pull requests from
>> him, I do 'hg export' from his repository and 'hg import' to my test
>> repository. Then I do again export and import from my test to my main
>> for a pull request to you. Eventually, when I get a new pull request
>> from Erik, 'hg incoming' from Erik to my test repository gives me again
>> the previous changesets. So, I have to check them and apply only the
>> new changesets. Is there any method to avoid such a problem?
>
> Unfortunately, hg has some troubles when you have a more distributed model like
> what we have with gspca.
>
> Hg now have the rebase extension that could eventually help to exceed its
> limitations, but my experiences with this went into more troubles than
> solutions.
>
> IMO, the better would be if he uses the main v4l-dvb as the basis for his
> sub-tree. This works for most of the patches. This will not work for the few
> ones that touches on gspca core files, but this is probably the exception.
>
> So, if you decide to go to this approach, you'll have to submit him patches
> that touches on his files, and he'll have to submit you the patches that
> touches on core.
>
> Yet, you'll have troubles if I reject one patch from the tree.

Hi, I'm truly sorry for creating this mess. I wasn't aware of that the
previously pulled changesets still were registred after a pull.
I'm all for submitting pull requests to you Mauro.
Just to avoid these kind of situations in the future please review this process.

1. Perform various commits to my local v4l-dvb tree
2. Pull the main tree
3. Resolve any conflicts
4. Push my local tree
5. Send mail asking for a pull

Do I need to do anything further or could I just repeat this process
in the future?

Best regards,
Erik