RE: HVR-1500 tuner seems to be recognized, but wont turn on.‏

I didn't post it last night, but I don't remember seeing anything different in it after I looked at it.  I haven't seen much on the mailing lists about it not working.  I found a few threads on Kubuntu and Ubuntu forums about people having problems a few months ago, but they were all able to get the card to tune, some had issues with sound that were later resolved.  Noone said they couldn't get it to tune.

You mentioned that the card causing the computer to freeze may indicate other problems, could hotplug not working right affect this?

I will try some more tonight.