Re: [PULL] bttv driver improvements

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, VDR User wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Didn't you say in your original post that you _haven't_ tested the
> >> code because of a conflict with your sata driver?  It's not safe to
> >
> > I was able to test it later by getting a different sata card.
>
> Ahh, gotcha.  Just curious, which card/drivers were you using that
> conflicted with bttv?

It's a sil3124 PCI-X SATA II card that is extemely fussy.  I can only get
to work if I have every other PCI card in my computer in a few specific
configurations.  If I add the bt848 card, it won't work.  If I *remove* my
sound card it won't work.  If I put the SATA card in another slot it won't
work.  If I move my cx88 HD-5500 card to another slot it won't work.  If I
install the cx88 HD-3000 card in place of the HD-5500 it won't work.

Only problem with the cheap VIA PCI SATA I card I'm using is that it has
much lower performance than the sil card when it works.  I just need a new
computer, keeping this dual athlon system from 2001 working is getting too
hard.  Faster Athlon-MP CPUs are insanely expensive on ebay.  No PCI-E
slots for modern SATA or graphics cards.  Doesn't work with AGP 8x.  Won't
boot unless I go through a magic sequence of turning it on and off in quick
sequence.  And I'm sick of messing with the closed source nvidia driver
that keeps getting worse and worse with each revision.