Re: libv4l2 library problem

Hi Hans,

On Friday 13 February 2009 13:57:45 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> I've developed a converter for the HM12 format (produced by Conexant MPEG
> encoders as used in the ivtv and cx18 drivers).
>
> But libv4l2 has a problem in its implementation of v4l2_read: it assumes
> that the driver can always do streaming. However, that is not the case
> for some drivers, including cx18 and ivtv. These drivers only implement
> read() functionality and no streaming.
>
> Can you as a minimum modify libv4l2 so that it will check for this case?
> The best solution would be that libv4l2 can read HM12 from the driver and
> convert it on the fly. But currently it tries to convert HM12 by starting
> to stream, and that produces an error.
>
> This bug needs to be fixed first before I can contribute my HM12
> converter.

My sincere apologies: I looked at the libv4l2 code again and it was clear
that it did in fact test for this case. I retested my own code and
everything seems to work as it should. So libv4l2 is fine, and I will
prepare a tree tomorrow containing the hm12 support for libv4lconvert.

Sorry about this,

	Hans