Re: [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~tap/v4l-dvb

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 20:01:05 -0800 (PST)
Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I took some time during this kernel cycle trying to fix mpeg dependencies. One
> > issue that I had to deal with is that some possible configurations with CX88,
> > CX88_BLACKBIRD and CX88_DVB causes breakages (weird configs like having one as
> > M and others as Y). Those weird configurations don't have any practical usage,
> > but causes lot of headaches at the Kconfig logic.
>
> Both of the methods I've show will work 100% correctly with any combination
> of Y, M, and so on.
>
> > I suspect that the current way compiles fine in-kernel, but maybe the
>
> I don't think it will.  It's going to set MPEG to 'y' when CX88_VIDEO is
> 'm' because the default line will override the dependency.  Trying to avoid
> select by using "default X if ..." lines has the same problem as select:
> dependencies are ignored.  It's worse than select since it's more complex
> and fails on various odd cases like one 'y' and one 'm'.
> >
> > I almost used a similar logic like above (just replacing tristate by boolean on
> > CX88_DVB and CX88_BLACKBIRD to avoid the weird and unpractical kconfigs).
> > I agree that adding more questions to the poor end-user is evil. So, I decided
> > for a hidden var for CX88_MPEG, than adding a meaningless option (on the user
> > POV), on the latest CX88 Kbuild changeset.
>
> Is the latest CX88 kbuild changeset different than what's in Hg now?  I
> think my patch with select is the best way.  There is no reason that MPEG
> would depend on something that DVB and BLACKBIRD don't, so there is no
> problem with select.  There is also no problem with MPEG getting selected
> from many places throughout the kernel which might not have the right
> dependencies, since nothing besides DVB and BLACKBIRD are going to select
> it.

Take a look on the changesets I'm referring:

changeset:   10190:eb1848dcb073
user:        Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx>
date:        Tue Jan 06 17:06:07 2009 -0200
summary:     cx88: Fix some Kbuild troubles

changeset:   10191:7c430437c967
user:        Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx>
date:        Wed Jan 07 00:53:22 2009 -0200
summary:     cx88: Fix Kconfig MPEG dependencies

There is a large descriptionon 10190 explaining what were the issues. I had
even to touch inside the code to avoid breakages, since, otherwise, things like
this would break compilation:

CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_BLACKBIRD=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_DVB=m
CONFIG_DVB_CORE=m

Btw, at the in-kernel compilation, if you do something like:

config FOO
	depends on BAR
	default y

if BAR is m, then FOO is also m; if BAR is n then FOO is n.

I've checked it, and also, this is what Roman (Kbuild maintainer) recommended
us as a way to avoid the usage of select:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/25/220

I suspect that the issue is on the parsing rules on our build system. I would
like to have the offended .config, in order to test against 2.6.29-rc and see
if we have such troubles upstream.

Cheers,
Mauro