Re: getaddrinfo_a man page: add notification example?

Hi Greg,

On Wed, Aug 21, 2024 at 11:50:07AM GMT, Greg Minshall wrote:
> hi.  first, thanks for the man pages.  always a great resource

:-)

> (in spite
> of the --help's of the world).
>
> i recently tried to figure out how to use getaddrinfo_a with its
> notification facilities.
> ----
> https://git.sr.ht/~minshall/gai-a
> ----
>
> the examples in the man page was very helpful to me.
> ----
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/tree/man/man3/getaddrinfo_a.3
> ----
>
> that there is any example is great, though i can imagine controversial
> (because of length).  but ...
>
> > This example shows a simple interactive getaddrinfo_a() front-end.
> > The notification facility is not demonstrated.
>
> if there was a desire to expand the asynchronous example to demonstrate
> signal and callback notifications, i could take a stab at it.  maybe
> adding commands to change the facility (for future requests that
> session), or some such.

I think examples are great in the manual pages (I wish we had at least
one example in every page).

If you can provide an example for those features, it could be good.  Do
you think it would fit in the existing examples, or maybe it's better to
add a separate new example?

Have a lovely day!
Alex

--