Re: POSIX manual pages

hi Alejandro

Unfortunately, we have no plans to move to a public git repository for managing the development of the standard.

regards
Andrew

> On 1 Jun 2024, at 18:54, Alejandro Colomar <alx@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Do you have any updates about this?
>
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 06:15:09PM GMT, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> [I reordered your answer for my response.]
>>
>> On 2023-09-05 14:34, Andrew Josey wrote:
>>>
>>> hi Alejandro
>>>
>>> Apologies for the delay.
>>
>> NP
>>

>>> Are you in touch with Michael Kerrisk?
>>
>> Nope.
>>
>>> It also appeared in discussions with Michael in 2020, that he had a way to convert the source format to man page format.
>>
>> Yep, this is probably "the way":
>>
>> <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages-posix.git/tree/posix.py>
>>
>>> In the past we have worked with him and made a permissions grant - which outlines the terms we are able to grant — these are limited
>>> by the copyright holders.
>>
>> I understand.  Would it be possible to suggest the copyright holders opening a
>> little bit more?  The C++ standard seems to be more open (it has a public git
>> repository with the source of the drafts) [1].  Maybe POSIX could do something
>> similar?    It would make contributions to the man-pages-posix project easier,
>> as contributors would be able to test the script with the original sources;
>> instead of just blindly trying something, and asking the maintainer to try it
>> with the secret sources.
>
> Just to remind of what I'm asking:
>
> -  A publicly accessible git repository containing (at least) the drafts
>   of the POSIX standard roff(7) sources, similar to
>   <https://github.com/cplusplus/draft> (which is not roff(7); I just
>   mean similar in that it's publicly available, and it contains ISO
>   standard draft sources).
>
> I would include that repository as a git submodule of
> man-pages-posix.git, where I would maintain the translation script for
> building the manual pages.
>
> Have a lovely day!
> Alex
>

>> [1]:  <https://github.com/cplusplus/draft>
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> --
>> <http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
>> GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5
>>

> --
> <https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>

--------
Andrew Josey
VP, Standards & Certification,	The Open Group
Email: a.josey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Apex Plaza,Forbury Road,Reading,Berks. RG1 1AX,UK.

The Open Group Certifications, see https://www.opengroup.org/certifications

ArchiMate, FACE, FACE logo, Future Airborne Capability Environment, Making Standards Work, Open O logo, Open O and Check certification logo, OSDU, Platform 3.0, The Open Group, TOGAF, UNIX, UNIXWARE, and X logo are registered trademarks and Boundaryless Information Flow, Build with Integrity Buy with Confidence, Commercial Aviation Reference Architecture, Dependability Through Assuredness, Digital Practitioner Body of Knowledge, DPBoK, EMMM, FHIM Profile Builder, FHIM logo, FPB, IT4IT, IT4IT logo, O-AA, O-DEF, O-HERA, O-PAS, O-TTPS, Open Agile Architecture, Open FAIR, Open Footprint, Open Process Automation, Open Subsurface Data Universe, Open Trusted Technology Provider, Sensor Integration Simplified, SOSA, and SOSA logo are trademarks of The Open Group.