Re: Bogus index in man-pages book from other projects

On Tuesday, 12 March 2024 14:12:52 GMT Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 12:47:48PM +0000, Deri wrote:
> Hi Deri,
>

> > This only works on debian type systems (apt-get), so I had to use my
> > raspberrypi5 instead of my desktop.
>
> Sorry, I didn't know how to do the equivalent of `apt-get build-dep` in
> other systems.  :)
>
> There seems to be some equivalent for dnf(1)-based systems:
> <https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/326047/does-dnf-have-an-equivalent
> -to-apts-build-dep>
> > I tested it using MANDIR=../man-pages/ru as well, some of it is cyrillic!
>
> Hmm, interesting thing to try!  I've tried it too, and the bookmarks for
> the in-page sections (e.g., DESCRIPTION, or rather ОПИСАНИЕ) appear with
> no name (or maybe it's a locale problem in my system?).  See attached
> PDF.

Hi Alex,

It is not locale, it is a Branden thing! If you use the deri-gropdf-ng branch
of groff, which Branden offered to do the release to master for me and has sat
on it for 9 months, all languages are now supported since UTF-16 is now used.
It is difficult to understand his reluctance to make groff pdfs accessible to
all languages, perhaps as an American he just does not want the Russians and
Chinese using his lovely groff, it is as likely as the rest of the spurious
arguments he has hinted, but never specified. "I feel the code is not
robust.", without giving an example of how it could fail, knowing that if he
did I would just make the code "more robust"!!

Anyway, this what I get if I build the Russian version.

Cheers

Deri