Re: catenate vs concatenate (was: strncpy clarify result may not be null terminated)

On Mon, Nov 27, 2023, at 11:59 AM, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> At 2023-11-27T16:08:17+0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 09:33:56AM -0500, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>> > [English pedant mode on]
>> >
>> > "Concatenate" is the correct term; "catenate" means something
>> > completely different, probably "hang between two posts like a
>> > chain".  You can't chop prefixes off a Latinate word and have it
>> > still mean the same thing.
>
> In some cases, you can.  Witness the case of "flammable"/inflammable",
> which are synonymous.

Yeah, and (after seeing Alejandro's reply) I did look up both
"concatenate" and "catenate" and find that they are synonymous in
English and both are attested from the 1600s.

**But I had to look that up.**

I cannot recall ever encountering the word "catenate" prior to this
thread, and my knee-jerk reaction was "typo."  Based on actual
experience trying, and mostly failing, to teach college undergraduates
to read man pages, I believe someone new to English technical
documentation would have a different, much more troublesome knee-jerk
reaction: "There must be some subtle reason why this documentation is
using an unfamiliar term 'catenate', instead of 'concatenate' that I
already know." Followed by wasting a bunch of time trying to research
that unfamiliar term, and when they find it's an exact synonym, adding
another tick mark to their mental tally for "manpages are badly written
and hard to understand."

> Man pages are specialized technical literature demanding a bespoke
> vocabulary.  Some employment of jargon is inescapable, even necessary.
> In any case, "catenate" has ~50 years of attestation in this domain
> alone, which constitutes approximately the entire history of Unix
> discourse.

This is no excuse.  Specialized technical jargon is only appropriate
when there is an actual difference in meaning.  (Thus, your "open
source" vs "free software" counterpoint is bogus.)

> Zack also overlooks the process by which speakers and readers of a
> language grapple with unfamiliar words that they encounter
> unexpectedly. Before undertaking to reach for dictionaries (online or
> otherwise), many readers morphophonemically analyze them to see if
> they can infer their meanings from familiar components.[4]

In grappling with general literature, yes.  In grappling with technical
writing, *no*, and again I am speaking from direct experience as an
educator.  Readers who encounter an unfamiliar word in technical
documents will most probably assume that the word has a precise meaning
that they must learn, and that they *cannot* deduce that meaning from
context. If they can't find a definition -- and they might not even try
looking in a general dictionary, since they may assume that the relevant
definition is too specialized to appear there; also it seems to me that
schoolchildren are not being taught how to use dictionaries anymore --
*they will give up on the entire document*.

Yes, this is bad.  It's an instance of learned helplessness, and it's
going to take decades and major educational reform at the grade-school
level to fix.  But there's one thing we, authors of technical documents,
can do about it right now, and that is embrace plain talk.  For example,
whenever there really is no difference of meaning, the most common word
in general usage is the word that should be used.

> In Unix culture, one will need to remain conversant with the term
> "catenate" to know why cat(1) is not named "concat(1)".  ;-)

This is how I would teach it: 'concat' is too long for Kernighan
and Ritchie's 1970s (or more precisely ASR33) tastes; 'con' was already
in use as an abbreviation for 'console' (not in Unix itself, but in
other contemporary OSes); and 'cat' is the next three letters of
"concatenate".  So that's what they picked.

zw