Re: strncpy clarify result may not be null terminated

>> If you ask me, I'd not mark libc functions as deprecated without some
>> kind of consesnsus from the libc maintainers too.
> Okay, let's ask them.
> Hi glibc developers,
>
> strncpy(3)

Speaking only for myself, I would be very reluctant to declare any standardized function "deprecated" by glibc unless the relevant standards have also made that declaration. This goes double for anything that was in C89.

Also speaking only for myself, the Linux manpages are welcome to discourage the use of any function that you feel is not a wise choice for new programs, but the word "deprecated" should be reserved for cases where there really has been a declaration of deprecation by us and/or the standards. The word "obsolete" should also be used very cautiously; it's broader, but I personally would only use it in situations where there is a direct replacement (e.g. sigaction replaces signal, strsep replaces strtok and strtok_r).

In the specific cases we're discussing: I would definitely like to see a BUGS or NOTES section in the strncpy(3) manpage, warning people that it's probably not what they want and recommending use of strlen+memcpy instead. I don't know enough about the utmp(x) situation to have a strong opinion, but I do think the manpages need to be very clear that this particular proposed replacement for utmp(x) is Linux-specific and still somewhat experimental.

zw