Re: strncpy clarify result may not be null terminated

On Wed, Nov 08, 2023 at 04:35:12PM -0500, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 11/8/23 10:07, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> > So we had it in ISO C in C89 and C99, and only in C11 they realized it
> > had to be removed.  POSIX hasn't even removed it yet!  I won't hesitate
> > to kill a function just because of bureaucracy.
>
> Attempting to get consensus at an international level, across cultural boundaries,
> use cases, workloads, and developer workflows is difficult and not intended to be
> bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy.

Hi Carlos!

I understand that, and respect ISO's work.  I just don't think we need,
as GNU or Linux projects, to be restricted to the decisions of ISO.  We
can realize that certain functions are bad, and mark them as deprecated
in our scope.  If others want to imitate (ISO might even take it as
"prior art"), then great.

Cheers,
Alex

--