Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] fsinfo and mount namespace notifications

On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 9:57 PM Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 at 17:57, Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 11:54 AM Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > - mount ID's do not uniquely identify a mount across time
> > >   o when a mount is deleted, the ID can be immediately reused
> > >
> > > The following are the minimal requirements needed to fix the above issues:
> > >
> > > 1) create a new ID for each mount that is unique across time; lets
> > > call this umntid
> > >

> > Do you reckon we just stop recycling mntid?
> > Do we also need to make it 64bit?
> > statx() has already allocated 64bit for stx_mnt_id.
> > In that case, should name_to_handle_at() return a truncated mnt_id?
>
> I'm not sure it's realistic to implement the new 64bit ID such that
> the truncated value retains the properties of the previous mount ID
> implementation.
>
> I think the only sane option is to leave the old mnt_id alone and add
> a new 64bit one that is assigned from an atomic counter at allocation
> and looked up using a hash table.

At the risk of shoehorning, that sounds a bit like file_handle of a mount.
Meaning that it could be the result of

name_to_handle_at(...,&mount_handle, &mount_id, AT_MNTID)

We can possibly use open_by_handle_at() to get a mountfd from
mount_handle - not sure if that makes sesnse.

[...]

> > > 3) allow querying mount parameters via umntid

I forgot to mention in the context of this topic, that there was a
topic proposal
about using "BFP iterator" [1] to query fs/mount info.

I don't know if that can be used to get namespace change notifications
or if it meets other requirements (i.e. permissions), but wanted to
mention it here.

I think we can discuss both topics in the same session.

Thanks,
Amir.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/0a6f0513-b4b3-9349-cee5-b0ad38c81d2e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/