Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] fsinfo and mount namespace notifications

On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 at 17:57, Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 11:54 AM Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > - mount ID's do not uniquely identify a mount across time
> >   o when a mount is deleted, the ID can be immediately reused
> >
> > The following are the minimal requirements needed to fix the above issues:
> >
> > 1) create a new ID for each mount that is unique across time; lets
> > call this umntid
> >

> Do you reckon we just stop recycling mntid?
> Do we also need to make it 64bit?
> statx() has already allocated 64bit for stx_mnt_id.
> In that case, should name_to_handle_at() return a truncated mnt_id?

I'm not sure it's realistic to implement the new 64bit ID such that
the truncated value retains the properties of the previous mount ID
implementation.

I think the only sane option is to leave the old mnt_id alone and add
a new 64bit one that is assigned from an atomic counter at allocation
and looked up using a hash table.

> > - mount notifications using watch_queue
> >
> > https://lore.kernel.org/all/159645997768.1779777.8286723139418624756.stgit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
> >
> > I also explored fsnotify infrastructure for this.  I think the API is
> > better fit, since we are talking about filesystem related events, but
> > notifications l would need to be extended with the mount ID.
>
> Like this? ;-)
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/20230414182903.1852019-1-amir73il@xxxxxxxxx/
>
> I was considering whether fanotify should report a 32bit mntid
> (like name_to_handle_at()) or 64bit one (like statx()).
> I should probably go with the latter then.

Or a 32+64bit one, like I said.

Thanks,
Miklos