Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] fsinfo and mount namespace notifications

On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 2:36 PM Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2022 at 10:00, Abel Wu <wuyun.abel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Miklos and anyone interested in this proposal, is there any update on
> > this? Sorry that I didn't find any..
>
> No update.
>
> Which part are you interested in?
>
> Getting mount attributes?  Or a generic key-value retrieval and
> storage interface?
>
> For the first one there are multiple proposals, one of them is adding
> a new system call using binary structs.  The fsinfo(2) syscall was
> deemed overdesigned and rejected.  Something simpler would probably be
> fairly uncontroversial.
>
> As for the other proposal it seems like some people would prefer a set
> of new syscalls, while some others would like to reuse the xattr
> syscalls.  No agreement seems to have been reached.
>
> Also I think a notification system for mount related events is also a
> much needed component.   I've tried to explore using the fsnotify
> framework for this, but the code is pretty convoluted and I couldn't
> get prototype working.

Hi Miklos,

You indicated that you would like to discuss the topic of
"mount info/mount notification" in LSF/MM, so I am resurrecting
this thread [1] from last year's topic.

Would you be interested to lead a session this year?
So far, it felt like the topic was in a bit of a stalemate.

Do you have a concrete suggestion of how to escape this stalemate?
I think it is better that we start discussing it a head of LSF/MM if we hope
to reach consensus in LSF/MM, so that people will have a chance to
get re-familiar with the problems and proposed solutions.

Thanks,
Amir.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/YnEeuw6fd1A8usjj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/