Re: Conflicting alias for some man pages

Hi Helge,

On 12/3/22 17:51, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
Hello Alejandro,
On Sat, Dec 03, 2022 at 05:36:20PM +0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
On 12/3/22 15:01, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:

Please remove duplicates in the alias (alternative) names of man
pages. (List of known examples at the end).
So, if I understand correctly, specifying the same name in the .SH NAME
section in more than one page is problematic, right?  It makes sense to me.
I'm a bit surprised that this bug hasn't been reported though, but otherwise
I'm fine fixing it.

As usually whatis/man is hiding this, probably nobody has noticed (or
bothered reporting).

Yeah, makes sense.

I CCed a few people that have a lot more experience than I do, and will
probably be able to tell if I understood the problem correctly.

Thanks.

So, since we're still on time for the Debian freeze, if you confirm that
this is the issue and the following fix is correct, I'll implement it and
release man-pages-6.02 later this month; the solstice seems a proper day for
a release, celebrating the new Sun.  Thanks for the report!

Thats great. I put the other Debian maintainer for manpages in CC so that
both are aware as well.

Good.

If they are able to prepare a release soon
after you did, then the translators could start dealing with [1] which
looks like a big change?

[1] was only adding syntactic sugar to the code in the SYNOPSIS, so translations shouldn't be affected.

Regarding timing:

Could you please remind me what are the freeze dates and restrictions that affect the man-pages?

There are quite a few fixes noted by the translators in the original
man pages. So it might make sense to report them as well soon?

Should I report them one by one as I did in the past to this list and
you and Michael Kerrisk in CC?

Yes, please, and if there are any old issues that we forgot to address, feel free to ping about them.

You can omit Michael from CC if you want[2].

(We are not done with all translation updates, but I would simply report
the current issues even if slightly incomplete).

Sure, I'd like to help get as many fixes for bookworm as we can. I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to put in this, but I'll try.

So, I'll try to find a complete list of duplicate NAMEs, and keep only one of them.

Thank you!

[1]: <https://lore.kernel.org/linux-man/20221110094033.ptpfsqpvvx2yd5xs@illithid/>

Greetings

          Helge